AIST-MeRAM (AIST-Multi-purpose Ecological Risk Assessment and Management Tool)
AIST-MeRAM is a free, user-friendly software for ecological risk assessment/management of chemicals substances. By installing AIST-MeRAM on your computer, you can perform assessment with only a few mouse clicks – ranging from initial risk assessment to high level risk assessment using species sensitivity distribution and population-level effect models. AIST-MeRAM contains not only these assessment models (see below for details), but also toxicity study data on approximately 3900 substances and sample exposure data. You can thus use the tool even if you don’t have data at hand or expertise in ecological risk assessment and statistical analysis.
Current release versions are 2.0.1 in Japanese and 2.0.0 in English. If you are interested in the tool, you can download it for free from the Download page. It is recommended that prior to installation, you read Overview of AIST-MeRAM, which describes the overall function of AIST-MeRAM and an overview on what you can do with AIST-MeRAM.
After the installation, it is recommended to have a read on the demonstration files such as Demonstration of Batch Mode, Initial Mode, Detailed Mode, Reset the Emission factor. After you have the read, you can get an clear image on how AIST-MeRAM work and what can do with AIST-MeRAM.
Since the releases of the Japanese version 0.9.12 in July 2013 and English version 1.0.0 in December 2014, we have received many comments from users. Based on these user comments and needs, we have improved/expanded functions of the tool.
We are pleased to announce that we are preparing multilingual manuals such as Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese. Please stay tuned. We hope ASEAN users find this tool useful.
— “Assessment Methodologies” contained in the tool —
- Option selection for management the risk of chemicals based on the results of risk assessment
- Assessment methods pursuant to the CSCL risk assessment scheme*
- Population-level effect model
- Species sensitivity distribution model
- Hazard quotient model
* The methods are in accordance with the Technical Guidance posted on the website of Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (as of June 18, 2013).
— “Data for Assessment” contained in the tool —
- Ecotoxicity data (270,000 data on approx. 3900 substances)
- Physical property data (physical properties of substances subject to the PRTR Act)
- Emission factor data sets (use/sub use categories and their associated emission factors used for risk assessment under CSCL)
- Environmental parameters (statistical data, including water discharge data obtained from 354 monitoring points along first class rivers of Japan)
We support simplification, optimization, and standardization of ecological risk assessment of chemical substances.
AIST-MeRAM： Multi-Purpose ecological Risk Assessment and Management Tool